How to jump start a car – Is there anything worse than realizing you’ve got a dead car battery? Unless you enjoy the exercise associated with pushing your car to the nearest gas station, it’s a good idea to carry jumper cables, and to know how to jump start your car!
How to jump start a car with jumper cables
When jump-starting a car yourself. Remember to always have a good set of jumper cables in the car, as this happens to the best of us. Here’s how to jump it:
- First park your working car next to the one with the dead battery (not touching)
- Shut off the ignition, lights, radio, and anything else that might use the power (including any dvd player. Also disconnect anything that might be charging, like a phone.)
- Get the jumper cables
- connect the red positive clamp to the dead battery’s positive post (has a “+” plus sign)
- connect the other red clamp to the good battery’s positive post
- Make sure that the cables aren’t dangling into the engine, where they can get caught or tangled on moving parts
- Connect the first black negative clamp to the working car’s negative battery terminal
- Connect the other black clamp onto any unpainted metal surface on the dead car’s engine
- Start the working car, and idle a couple of minutes
- Start the dead car
- Once it’s running, disconnect the cables in reverse order, and run or drive for at least 10 minutes (while listening to song, “Jump Start My Heart,” by Natalie Cole?)
Here’s printable instructions of how to jump start your car:
- Check out our featured coupons for Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone.com to save up to 40% on your next online order of a car battery, or anything else!
It’s not a bad idea to make a little card to remember the order in which you connect the cables. In fact, we just made one above that you can click on and print out for your glove compartment.
It’s also a good idea to consider a portable jump starter in your car, but you’ll have to charge it every few months. Ever wonder how long car batteries last? That’s helpful knowledge, too.
Thanks for visiting mightyautoshop.com, where we post the best deals that we can find for automotive parts online, as well as helpful how-to videos like this one showing you how to jump a dead car. Please see out coupons for up to a 40% discount on auto parts like new batteries!- Please Share!